Implementing security measures
Employing best practices when it comes to security is just as important for wireless networks as it is for more traditional ones. Many large corporations are already doing this at a global level. The three most important security measures you can take are:
- Use a high performance Firewall to control user access: it will identify users, as well as identify when, from what device and from what location users are accessing the network.
- Install an IPS (a system designed to prevent intruders): the IPS monitors the traffic going through the network and prevents potentially harmful data from getting into the system.
- Control traffic flowing through the network by checking user email: this lets you identify potential sources of malware.
iCloud is Apple’s cloud computing service
Protecting data stored on the cloud by corporations opting for cloud computing is one of the central issues facing the industry. Allowing any company data –especially confidential data – to leave the premises will always create a certain level of uncertainty. Here are some suggestions to help you make the right decision.
- A VPN allows all devices on a network to exchange information securely. The encryption VPNs use is currently one of the most secure options available, since it prevents content from ever being traced or read by a third party.
- Making backup files is a more traditional way of safeguarding information when necessary. Even if you work with a cloud storage provider, you still need to make a physical backup of the data you transfer to the external server.
Dropbox is one of the most popular cloud storage services
Replacing your equipment and programs
Constant advances in the world of information technology mean companies and professionals must always have the latest hardware and software available.
Gone are the days of installing a program from a CD-ROM you bought in a shop. Today, it's more likely that you bought the program via the software manufacturer’s server, with updates only available online. It's also increasingly common for manufacturers to sell time-limited user subscriptions for their products.
In terms of hardware, the major manufacturers continuously update their offerings, and companies want to stay on top of the technology so their employees can be more productive. But at the same time, they also want the guarantee that device connectivity is secure, and not open for anyone to use.
Google has developed its own cloud computing service: Drive
Cloud provider technology
It’s important to make sure that the technological infrastructure provided by your cloud computing service provider is up to scratch: that way, you know that malware – which could be picked up by service users – won’t get into their servers.
The need to have overall control of the data transferred to the cloud means cloud computing service providers must always stay on top of current trends in the market.
Many cloud services have their own mobile app
The question of who is responsible for keeping data stored on servers secure is one of the most controversial issues surrounding the provision of cloud computing services.
With an eye to the future, legal departments of large corporations have rushed to define the responsibilities of service providers and the compensation due as a result of any violation of service.
Given all this, and as it becomes increasingly difficult to find ways of storing data physically (portable hard drives), cloud computing is truly becoming a key technological race for the future There are dozens of reasonably-priced specialist cloud storage providers out there with good security guarantees for both private consumers and companies alike.